Step up from your typical boring grilled cheese and you will never want to return.
I know what you were thinking just now. People told me that I’ve got that telepathy thing, like one of the X-Men. OK, not really, but I bet you were thinking, “Is that grilled cheese wrapped in bacon?” Because it is! Well, I feel sorry for those of you with Lactose Intolerance but it’s THAT time of the year!
We finally completed our backyard two weeks ago. There are still some parts that need to be fixed but most of the sections are done. The pergola is set and the swing installed. Plants and fruit trees planted, and I’m crossing my fingers they will not die or go dry this Summer. It’s my first time gardening so there are still many things for me to read, learn, and apply. But, it’s been a very exciting Spring.
We purchased our first grill last year and it’s no longer sitting in the corner of our garage. Frederick finally managed to build it so it’s now ready for use. I’ve been itching to try some grilling ever since he placed it out in our backyard last month, and I had so many recipes in mind. It’s hard to decide just one, really.
Speaking of grill… do you know that April is Grilled Cheese Month? Growing up, I didn’t eat lots of cheese. It’s one of those things that people tried to stay away from because there are writings somewhere telling our parents that cheese made us fat. Luckily, my parents didn’t really buy that article and kept feeding us cheese in moderation. However, the cheese we ate was completely different than cheese we eat these days. Back then, we ate cheese for desserts. Imagine grilling your banana or white bread on charcoal grill and topped with grated cheese. That’s how we’re trained to eat it and that’s our classic way to enjoy grilled cheese. Hence, don’t be surprised if you see Indonesian people enjoy their grilled cheese that way for supper.
Ever since I moved to the U.S., cheese has been on my list – from mozzarella to brie to haloumi. Those are my three most favorite cheese and you can easily find cheese – other than chocolate – in my fridge.
I couldn’t be more excited for Grilled Cheese Month. It’s an excuse to create melty, savory concoction of cheese and whatever else you can think of. So I celebrate it with this chocolate + brie grilled Panini. I was one of those skeptical people who first thought of it as a weird combination. I’m glad I was wrong! Chocolate? Yum! Cheese? Awesome! Combining those two was totally outrageous and I couldn’t stop myself from eating it.
And today, I even bring it to another level with bacon inverted grilled cheese. This grilled cheese falls under the category of something just a tad different or maybe full-on weird to some of you, but I can guarantee you there are none other to compare them to. Who doesn’t love bacon combined with grilled cheese?
And to make it even more extraordinary, I pair this grilled cheese sandwich with Gallo Family Pinot Noir. You can’t never go wrong with this wine because it gives a smooth and light finish that suit this bacon inverted grilled cheese perfectly. And if you’re into sweeter taste, pair it with Gallo Family Red Moscato that brings out flavors of sweet citrus and peach, with a bright red berry finish. Please excuse me while I take another sip and click here to see more mouthwatering recipes from Gallo Family Vineyards.
- 1 store-bought sourdough bread
- 1lb smoked bacon (or your favorite bacon)
- sun dried tomato
- 2 ripe avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
- Salt & pepper
- ½lb Swiss cheese, sliced
- 11/2 cups Mozzarella & parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place all pieces of bacon vertical on a cutting board close together. Sprinkle with brown sugar and ancho chili. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, place the scooped avocado pulp with salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Halve sourdough bread. Place swiss cheese on the bottom layer.
- Top with sun dried tomatoes and spread avocado.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella & parmesan cheese on top and place top of the sandwich.
- Wrap the sandwich with bacon, making sure the ends of the bacon meet.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
…and don’t forget to check these delicious recipes from Sunday Supper family!
- Bacon Inverted Grilled Cheese by Brunch with Joy
- BBQ Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Brie, Raspberry and Honey Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Egg Prosciutto Grilled Cheese by Magnolia Days
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by The Redhead Baker
- Garlicky Anaheim Pepper Grilled Cheese by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Kale Grilled Cheese by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Havarti with Onion Jam by Nosh My Way
- Grilled Gruyère on Rye with Crisped Sage and Pink Lady Slices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Longaniza Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Peaceful Cooking
- Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese by Feed Me, Seymour
- Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Grilled Cheese by Casa de Crews
- Twenty Ways to Make Grilled Cheese plus Wine Pairings on the Sunday Supper Movement website
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.