This turkey taco with apple salsa is breakfast level: ridiculous. And I’m going to tell you all about them, but first, let’s take a look at why you should definitely add this recipe to your breakfast rotation immediately.
- Breakfast tacos are super yummy.
- They are always a good thing to get you going in the morning.
- Apple salsa is also surprisingly awesome. Plus, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
- Combine both into one – what a jackpot!
These breakfast turkey tacos with apple salsa are a quick and scrumptious breakfast go-to and are meant to be shared with your favorite people, especially for Cinco de Mayo. Forget mimosas – you need margaritas and these tacos in both hands. Yip, it’s going to be a handful, but you will love every single delicious bite.
Confession: I’ve never had or made apple salsa before, so I used a combination of mango and apple in my first attempt to shake things up. And guess what… I loved it! I adore the crunchiness and sweetness of this combination, especially when mixed with the turkey.
I’m using Piñata’s apples, which are very versatile and great for baking, cooking, salads, grilling, juicing, freezing, and of course – fresh snacking. It’s truly an apple with a tropical twist that really pairs well with the mango and turkey for these tacos.
Piñata apples are harvested in mid-October at Stemilt’s Washington State orchards and are available from November through May each year. So be sure to get yours as soon as you can so you can enjoy this recipe along with me. Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Ahhh, this. Now THIS is a crave-able, delectable, irresistible salsa that will quickly become a favorite for spring and summer breakfasts.
Breakfast Turkey Tacos with Apple Salsa
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup julienned sweet potato
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili
- Salt, to taste
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 large Pinata apples, finely chopped
- 1 small mango, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt, to taste
- Jalapeno slices, optional
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add onion and saute for 3-5 minutes until onions are softened.
- Add ground turkey, break apart, stirring occasionally.
- Add sweet potato, cumin, ancho chili, and salt to the skillet. Cook until turkey is browned and cooked through.
- Salsa: combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- To assemble the tacos: filling each tortilla with cooked turkey and salsa. Top with jalapeno and fresh cilantro.