If you visit Bali, don’t forget to make a quick stop at Jimbaran. Jimbaran is an area in the southern Bali, approximately 20 minutes journey from the Ngurah Rai International Airport. The place is well-known for its romantic seafood restaurants, where you could eat delicious seafoods by the beach. You could enjoy the sunset while you’re eating. However, as it is a tourist spot, the price can get really expensive.
We were there a few years ago and fell in love with the scenery, the food, and pretty much everything they offer. One of my favorites was grilled mussels. Eating seafood here is different because the seafood is fresh so it tastes sweeter. I was surprised to learn that this delicious dish is so easy to make.
- 800 grams of green mussels, cleaned
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemongrass stalk, bruised
- 1 teaspoon of salt
For the sauce:
- 3 tbs butter, melted
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbs tomato ketchup
- ½ tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 tbs of oyster sauce
- Add the mussels to boiled water, along with the rest of the ingredients. Cook until all mussels open up. Remove from the heat and strain of the boiling water. Discard the valve and set aside.
- Blend all the sauce ingredients together in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the mussels on a baking dish, scoop generous amount of sauce into each shell.
- Grill for 10 mins or until the sauce gets bubbly.