If you are looking for a fresh idea to serve for dinner, you should try this recipe for Thai tacos. With their interesting Thai ingredients and, of course, a ton of flavor, these tacos stand out from the crowd. As a quick meal, these Thai beef tacos are easy to make. To make it even easier, we are going to divide the ingredients into three parts: ingredients for the marinades, ingredients for the mango salsa, and ingredients for the tacos themselves.
The Thai Beef Taco Recipe
- Flank steak: 1 ½ pounds
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Pepper: 1 teaspoon
Ingredients for the Marinades
- Canned coconut milk: ¾ cup light (buy here)
- Sesame oil: 1 tablespoon (buy here)
- Garlic cloves: 4, minced or pressed
- Ginger: 2 tablespoons, freshly grated
- Brown sugar: 2 tablespoons (buy here)
- Cilantro: 3 tablespoons, freshly chopped
- Sweet chili sauce: 1/3 cup (buy here)
Ingredients for Mango Salsa
- Mango: ½, chopped
- Shallot: 1, diced
- Jalapeno: 1, diced
- Cilantro: 2 tablespoons, freshly chopped
- Sugar, salt, and pepper for sprinkling
Ingredients for Tacos
- Canola oil: 1 teaspoon
- Corn tortillas: 8 to 10 (buy here)
- Sweet chili sauce: ½ cup
- Peanuts: ¼ cup, chopped
- Green leaf (romaine) plus fresh cilantro for topping
- Sprinkle the flank steak with salt and pepper. Mix coconut milk, chili sauce, sesame oil, garlic, sugar, ginger, and cilantro in a bowl and stir well. Add the flank steak to a zip-lock bag (or you can use a shallow baking dish) and pour the marinade over it. Refrigerate and let rest for 6 to 24 hours.
- Once it’s ready to prepare, remove the steak from the refrigerator and let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- By using a bowl, combine the mango, jalapeno, shallots, sugar, salt, and pepper; mix well, and set aside.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat and preheat the broiler in the oven at the same time. If you prefer, you can also broil the steak.
- Using a pastry brush, grease the pan so that there is only a very thin layer.
- Remove the steak from the marinade by using kitchen tongs. Then, place it in the skillet.
- Sear both sides for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the skillet and place the oven just below the broiler.
- Cook it for about 3 to 4 minutes, then flip and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. This makes medium-well-done meat, but it really depends on the thickness of your steak and the degree of doneness you want.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and put the steak on a cutting board to rest for 15 to 20 minutes. At this time, gather your tortillas, extra chili sauce, salsa, and cilantro for drizzling. After the steak has rested, cut it into thin strips. Serve the Thai beef tacos the way you want and eat them.
- If you want it spicier, you can add cayenne pepper sauce. Also, marinating the steak longer can help the flavors of the spices sink in more.
- With 2 side dishes, this meal should serve about 4 people. However, with no side dishes and only tacos, it can be enjoyed by two people.
Ingredients and Equipment for Thai Tacos
1. Canned Coconut Milk
Thai Kitchen offers this canned coconut milk that is gluten-free. With a pack of 12, you get 13.66 fluid ounces of unsweetened coconut milk per can. The milk is made from the pressing of fresh, ripe coconut meat and contains 60% less fat and calories than regular coconut milk.
It has a mild flavor and a creamy texture, and there are no dairy substitutes; it is vegan and paleo friendly. The product is also non-GMO with no artificial colors or flavors, making it perfect for baking, desserts, beverages, and more.
2. Sesame Oil
This is one of the most popular products of its kind out there, with 22.10 ounces of product in a bottle. With only one ingredient, this sesame oil has not been mixed or diluted, which makes it a suitable ingredient for seasoning or dressing. The package weight of this sesame oil is 1.5 pounds.
3. Brown Sugar
This brown sugar is made with erythritol, sugar, stevia leaf extract, and molasses. It is a vegan and plant-based product with a weight of 0.52 kg and comes in a stand-up, resealable bag. The product is a blend of natural stevia sweetener and brown sugar that contains 75% fewer calories per serving than full-calorie brown sugar.
The bag itself contains two and a half cups of brown sugar, which is as sweet as five cups of full-calorie brown sugar. It has the same sweetness as 1 cup brown sugar in half a cup.
4. Sweet Chili Sauce
Another Thai Kitchen product that is suitable for this recipe is this sweet chili sauce. The product is a mix of pure cane sugar, pickled red chili pepper, water, garlic, modified tapioca starch, rice vinegar, xanthan gum, and salt.
The brand offers 33.82 ounces of chili sauce in a jar bottle and is known for its ability to bring out the authentic taste and freshness of your recipes. This chili sauce can create a sweet and savory sauce with a hint of chili heat for a complex flavor. You can use it to create authentic dishes or make unique and flavorful menu items such as dips and dressings for pizza or vegetables.
5. Corn Tortillas
If you can’t find corn tortillas in your nearby grocery store, you may want to consider this one. This brand offers 20 slices of flour tortillas that you can use to make the perfect tacos. The tortillas are fluffy with freshly baked, authentic flavors.
They are soft and are sure to please both your body and your taste buds. The product itself contains zero trans fat and no cholesterol per serving, and it’s easy and fast to heat up on a griddle, grill, or microwave.
This is one of the most important pieces of equipment for making Thai tacos. This multi-function oven comes with the convenient feature of helping you with your cooking needs. Let’s start with the adjustment on-the-fly feature where you can set a hotter temperature and how long you need to cook for.
The oven also comes with an integrated digital temperature probe that constantly monitors the internal temperature of your food. It also automatically ends your cooking process when the desired internal temperature is reached. Other included features are 112 presets and conveniences built-in, linear thermal technology, and high-quality construction.