Miso butter toast is a delicious spread that has a sweet flavor and soft texture and is also spicy and salty. Miso itself is a fermented paste made by inoculating a soy mixture with a fungus called koji.
As a traditional Japanese seasoning, miso has different types of paste that differ in taste, color, and how long they ferment before being used. In today’s topic, we are going to share how to make miso toast using red miso paste.
Miso Butter Toast Recipes
- 50 grams of softened butter. Note: You can use less butter, depending on how salty you want the spread. (buy here)
- 14 grams of red miso paste (buy here)
- 5 grams of maple syrup (buy here)
- 15 grams of honey (buy here)
- Chili flakes (buy here)
- Sliced bread (your choice of type)
- Take the butter out of the fridge and leave it on the counter to soften.
- When the butter gets soft, mix it with a fork in a small bowl. Add the miso paste and stir until the mixture changes color.
- Now, add honey, maple syrup, and chili flakes, and mix them well.
- Taste the spread and add more sweet stuff or more miso paste. It depends on how salty and sweet you want it.
- Toast the slices of bread to your desired level of crispiness. You can use a toaster, toaster oven, or a regular oven.
- While the bread is still warm, spread a generous amount of the miso butter mixture on each slice. Ensure an even coating.
- Taste the spread to determine how much sweet ingredients you want to add to balance it out.
- Since the red miso paste is intense and salty, you can use other miso pastes like white miso paste (which does not contain many soybeans and it’s lighter and sweeter) or yellow miso paste.
- This recipe can be served for four people. However, it depends on how much spread you use for one toast and what else you add to your toast.
- You can top this miso butter recipe with a fried egg because it adds balance and makes the recipe even more desirable.
Types of Miso
- White miso is a lightly flavored white paste made by fermenting soybeans along with large portions of rice. This white miso paste can be mixed with other condiments, such as mayonnaise. It is also great for making salad dressings and a miso butter sauce.
- Yellow miso is a medium-strength yellow or light brown paste made by fermenting soybeans with brown rice (barley). It has an earthy taste and is often used in marinades, slaws, and soups.
- Red miso is produced by fermenting large amounts of soybeans with brown rice or other grains for an extended period of time. This red or chocolate paste has a stronger umami flavor, which makes it an ideal addition to glazes and stews.
How to Store Miso Butter
After making the miso butter, there are several options for storing and preserving it. You can store it in the refrigerator for several weeks or in the freezer for up to a month.
- Store in a container: Place the miso butter in an airtight container or cover the bowl with plastic wrap. After that, refrigerate or freeze.
- Store as rolled sticks: Spread the miso butter on parchment paper and roll into sticks. You can freeze the logs and take them out of the freezer to cut them into neat pieces.
- Save as cube portions: Put the miso butter in a bowl covered with a paper towel and microwave for just 10 seconds. Then pour the melted butter into ice cube trays and freeze. You can use miso butter in the form of ice cubes for weekday dinners.
Where to Get the Ingredients and Equipment for Miso Butter Toast
1. Red Miso Paste
2. Maple Syrup
If you are looking for maple syrup that has a stronger flavor, consider this product. This maple syrup comes in a squeeze bottle container with a volume of 13 fluid ounces. This is the darkest grade available, which provides a strong, warm maple flavor.
Made with pure organic maple syrup, this product is great for all around use, including over the counter and cooking. It has been carefully selected to ensure the product you receive is of the highest quality.
This is Nate’s 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered honey. As a popular product, this honey is known for having an award-winning taste in a cute squeeze bottle. It is packed in a 32-ounce bottle and contains all the natural benefits of honey straight from the hive.
The good thing about this product is that it has also been tested to ensure it is free from herbicides, pesticides, antibiotics, and artificial additives. The honey is good to pair with yogurt, granola, tea, coffee, and any food or drink that needs a drizzle of natural sweetness.
4. Chili Flakes
- Starts with whole, ripe peppers
- Optimal levels of seeds and pods to deliver bold flavor and balanced heat
- Slightly fruity, chili pepper aroma with a consistently spicy heat
- A pinch kicks up the flavor of your favorite foods
You can do a lot with this 13-ounce bottle of chili flakes, whether you want to sprinkle it on your pizza, eggs, salads, pasta, or tacos. You can also add these chili flakes to your curries, casseroles, soups, stews, or barbecue spice rubs.
For the flavor, this product is slightly fruity, and it has a chili aroma with consistent spicy heat. As natural flakes, this product has no GMOs and can kick up the flavor of your favorite recipes with just a pinch of it.
- 204 Servings
- 7,140 Calories
- Perfect For Food Storage, Emergencies, Survival, Camping, And Everyday Use!
- Certified Gluten-Free
Made with butter powder, nonfat milk, tocopherols, and ascorbyl palmitate, this butter becomes a good option for your daily cooking. It offers 2 pounds of salted butter with 7,140 calories.
You can use this product to prepare up to 200 servings. The butter itself is great for food storage, camping, and every day use and is certified gluten-free.
- 2-slice toaster for toasting 1 or 2 slices of bread at a time
- 6 shade settings accommodate individual preferences
- Extra-wide slots for bagels and thicker slices; each slot measures 5-1/4 inches long by 1-1/4 inches wide
- Bagel setting for toasting just the cut side; Frozen setting for defrosting bread; Cancel function ends the session at any time; buttons illuminate to indicate selected settings
While you can use a regular pan to make this miso butter toast, you can also use a toaster. This equipment is a good option because it is among the most popular products out there and has great features. The 2-piece toaster is for toasting one or two slices of bread at a time.
It also comes with extra wide slots that are suitable for bagels and thicker slices. Other exciting features include a bagel setting for toasting the cut side, an extra lift lever for safely removing smaller pieces, and buttons that illuminate to indicate selected settings.