Originally inspired by the popular KFC popcorn chicken, this chicken dish has become a massive favorite with its crispy and tasty chunks. With basic ingredients and adjustments, you can make it at home in just a few steps, even under 30 minutes. Prepare everything and get ready to take a bite of the scrumptious and spicy popcorn chicken.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 113 grams of milk
- Hot sauce (for chicken marinade and spice mixture) (buy here)
- 50 gr flour
- 25 gr cornstarch (buy here)
- Black pepper
- Chili powder (for dredge and spice mixture) (buy here)
- Garlic powder
- Oregano (buy here)
- Oil for frying
- Paprika powder
- ½ tablespoon of butter
How to make popcorn chicken:
- Dice the chicken breasts into small pieces, then put them in a bowl.
- Add milk, salt, lemon juice, and hot sauce and marinade them for 10 minutes
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and oregano. This is the dredge you will use to coat the chicken
- Take the chicken pieces to the dredge and coat them evenly. You can massage them gently so the chicken sticks firmly to the flour, creating a curly layer that will make them crispy after frying
- Preheat the oven to medium-high heat. Fry the chicken chunks until they are golden brown. It takes about four minutes to fry
- To set them aside, you can put them in a wire rack, which is covered with paper towel to absorb the excess oil
- This is the last step of getting your spicy popcorn chicken ready. In a bowl, put some leftover frying oil, butter, hot sauce, chili powder, paprika, and a pinch of salt and mix them well. Then coat the chicken with this spice mixture
The key to this spicy popcorn chicken recipe is the hot sauce in the marinade and the spice mixture and chile powder in the dredge.
Some of the following products might help you with the preparation and frying:
1. The Original Louisiana Hot Sauce
It is made from aged hot peppers, vinegar, and salt to spice up your meal. You will find a perfectly balanced taste of Louisiana sauce with carefully selected aged peppers. This sauce is best as a complement to your dish or as a condiment for your daily cooking
2. McCormick Dark Chili Powder
It is made from ripe peppers which are blended with garlic, salt, and spices. This chili powder has a darker color with a slightly sweet and rich earthy flavor. It is a little hotter than their regular chili powder and will give a delicious rub for chicken, beef, and other meats
3. Cornstarch Rumford Corn Starch
This cornstarch is made from non-genetically modified corn, gluten-free and packed in a resealable canister. It is perfect for thickening gravies, sauces, stews, and soups, and also for flour use and hot liquids.
4. Watkins Oregano
Certified as an organic product, it will add a bold and pungent flavor to your spicy popcorn chicken. It is a non-GMO product of the highest quality, which is packaged in a recycleable bottle.
5. Winco FBRS-8 Round Wire Fry Basket
This is a handy utensil, which is made from nickel for your frying process. It helps drain and strain foods that have been cooked through. The deep fry basket and handle will allow you to make perfect dishes without getting overcooked