For special occasions, the biryani chicken recipe may be time-consuming, and you need to be somehow adept at handling it. This time, we want to simplify it with these easy chicken biryani cooking steps you can try at home. You do not need to marinate the chicken or add many ingredients you may not be familiar with. Yet, you can still enjoy the aromatic, spicy, and pungent flavor of this succulent rice dish, which comes in layers in the pan.
- 300 grams of basmati rice (buy here)
- 25 grams of butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into large pieces
- 4 tablespoons of balti curry paste (buy here)
- 85 grams of raisins (buy here)
- 850 ml of chicken stock
- 15 grams of chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 tablespoons of toasted almonds for serving
- Soak basmati rice in warm water, rinse it with cold water, and drain. Repeat at least three times or until the basmati water turns clear
- Add the butter to a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Saute the bay leaf, cardamom pods, and cinnamon stick for one minute
- Add the turmeric powder, chicken pieces, and curry paste and cook for another three minutes
- Sprinkle the onion slices, stir evenly, and cook through
- Once it is done, layer the chicken mixture with the basmati rice. Add raisins and the chicken stock
- Cover the pan with the lid. You can use parchment paper that is lined with aluminum foil to keep the lid tight for steaming
- Bring it to a boil on high heat. Then reduce the heat and cook the rice again for 5 minutes
- Turn off the heat and set it aside for 10 minutes
- Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves over the Indian rice and stir. Serve it with toasted almonds
Check out the following list of products that may help you choose ingredients and equipment to cook this easy chicken biryani.
1. Asian Kitchen Basmati Rice
Get this fragrant rice in a 20-pound cloth bag with no preservatives. The grain is 7 mm in length and has a soft and fluffy texture when cooked, without turning mushy. It is also aged between 12 and 18 months for the best aroma. Besides, you can use it for making curries, stir-fries, side dishes, and many other purposes.
2. Patak’s Biryani Curry Paste
With medium heat, this will be the flavorful base for your biriyani dish. It is made of a complex blend of freshly ground spices, like coriander, tumeric, cumin, and paprika, and is added with canola oil and ginger puree. It comes in a 10-ounce glass jar and is provided with the recipes on the package.
3. Vedaka Raisins
It has a fruity, sweet taste with a soft, chewy texture in your mouth. It adds sweetness to your biryani, kheer, pulao, and meethe chawal, as well as to your home-baked cookies and cakes. You can also sprinkle it over your breakfast cereals, yogurt, or salad toppings.
4. Duxtop Sauce Pan with Lid
With a 2,5 quart capacity and a fast and even heating system, this stainless steel pot will leave you with no worries for making easy chicken biryani. It has a clear tempered glass lid for monitoring the cooking process and a non-heat handle for comfort when carrying or pouring. This cookware works best for induction, gas, electric, and halogen cooktops. You can also use it as a milk pot, boiling pot, noodle pot, soup pot, sauce pot, and more.