Popcorn Chicken with a Spicy Kick!
This past month has been fun with lots of little getaways… some work-related ones and some just purely play. For someone who enjoys traveling, I really enjoy it though my pile of laundry has doubled in just a couple of weeks, but there’s nothing more exciting than exploring various new places and experience new things.
I even secretly made a list of places I must visit before I die. It is quite a long list, though you can summarize it as “travel round the world”. And Taiwan is one of the many countries I’ve been wanting to visit. I was only two years old when my parents took me there, so I couldn’t remember anything about it at all. From what I heard, Taiwan is a mecca for night markets, which sell this popcorn chicken. And oh, if you’re a fan of bubble tea, it was originated from Taiwan.
Luckily, while I’m itching to try the authentic version of popcorn chicken, there are a bunch of bubble tea stores that sell popcorn chicken, so that should suffice for now. The crunchy bite-sized pieces of chicken are dusted with a special mix of seasoning which makes them quite addictive; hence it’s a good snack for supper time or the time when you plan on skipping a meal. This week, #SundaySupper family is sharing finger foods for dinner. And for me, there’s nothing more addictive than this Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken, followed by a cup of bubble tea.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces (dark or white meat)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbs shaoxing cooking wine
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs five spice powder
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp sugar
- For frying:
- handful of fresh Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup brown rice flour or potato flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp five spice powder for dusting
- White pepper powder for dusting, option
- Oil for deep-frying
- In a medium bowl, coat the chicken with marinade ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Add oil into a pot or wok for frying over medium high heat.
- Stir cornstarch and egg into the chicken mixture. Add the brown rice flour on a flat plate.
- When the oil is heated, add the chicken to the flour, toss to coat evenly and then place into hot oil. Let chicken fry on both sides until medium brown (3-4 minutes). When done, place chicken on a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Add fresh basil leaves and fry for a few seconds. Sprinkle basil on top of chicken and toss/coat with the remaining five spice powder. Serve immediately while chicken is still crispy.
What’s your favorite finger foods?
- Artichoke Jalapeno Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Wrapped Dates by Our Good Life
- Baked Blue Cheese Olive Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Baked Chicken Flautas by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Russian Piroshki (Stuffed Rolls) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Blue Cheese & Buffalo Chicken Wonton Bites by Moore or Less Cooking
- Caprese Polenta Cakes by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Cherry Topped Brie Bites by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Pesto Pizza by Taste And See
- Classic Homemade Guacamole by Pies and Plots
- Fried Italian Stuffed Olives by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Kabobs by Hardly A Goddess
- Loaded Mashed Potato Balls with Gravy by From Gate to Plate
- Mini Feta Leek Quiche by FoodieTots
- Mini Mediterranean Shish Kebabs by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Nashville Hot Chicken Flat Breads by Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Pan Seared Bruschetta by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Raspberry Glazed Chicken Wings by Family Around The Table
- Roasted Strawberry Chipotle Hot Wings by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Sesame Chicken Fingers by An Appealing Plan
- Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Battered-dipped Turkey Tenders by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Wellington Bites by Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Broccoli, Ham & Cheese Double Stuffed Potato Skins by Simply Healthy Family
- Cheesy Baked Garlic Chicken Strips by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders by The Chef Next Door
- Cuban Sandwiches by My World Simplified
- Ethiopian Injera and Tikel Gomen (cabbage, carrots and potato) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Fish fingers and Old Bay Dip by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Fresh Vegetable Rainbow Rolls by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Haddock Fingers by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Ham and Cheese Sliders by Feeding Big and More
- Mini Pizza Pockets by The Freshman Cook
- Mini Pizzas by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Ribs with Whiskey Maple Barbecue Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Savory Beef and Veggie Hand Pies by Positively Stacey
- Spinach-Feta Rolls by Wholistic Woman
- Steak Crostini with Roasted Red Pepper Spread by A Mind Full Mom
- Tacos in Lettuce Wraps by Simple and Savory
- Thai Basil Chicken Lettuce Wraps by Casa de Crews
- Thai-Indian Beef Lettuce Cups by The Texan New Yorker
- Vegetarian Piadina Sandwich by she loves biscotti
- Yuca Fritters Stuffed with Cheese by Basic N Delicious
- Blackberry Fried Hand Pies by The TipToe Fairy
- Blueberry and Brie Tarts by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Strawberry Hand Pies by Baking Sense
- Salted Caramel Cream Puffs by The Redhead Baker
Plus Plus Bite-sized Berry Pavlovas and More Finger Food Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.