Thai meatballs are the kind of appetizer you can serve at your holiday parties or on game days. The Asian meatballs recipe is known for its sticky sauce that is spicy and sweet at the same time and is loaded with tons of flavor. In today’s article, we are going to share the detailed ingredients, the step-by-step method, the useful tips, as well as where to get the ingredients and equipment. Let’s get started!
- Thai Meatballs Recipe
- Related Posts
- Tips for Making Saucy Thai Meatballs
- Ingredients and Equipment for Making Thai Meatballs
Thai Meatballs Recipe
Ingredients for the Meatballs
- Ground pork: 1 pound
- Ground beef: ½ pound
- Egg: 1
- Panko breadcrumbs: 2/3 cup (buy here)
- Red curry paste: 2 tablespoons (buy here)
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Ground ginger: 1 tablespoon
- Garlic powder: 2 teaspoons
- Cayenne pepper: ¼ teaspoon or more if you want
Ingredients for the Thai Meatballs Sauce
- Packed brown sugar: ¾ cup
- Rice vinegar: ¼ cup (buy here)
- Thai sweet chili sauce: 1/3 cup (buy here)
- Soy sauce: 1/3 cup (buy here)
- Cornstarch: 1 tablespoon (buy here)
- Water: 1/3 cup
- Chopped peanuts for garnish
- Minced cilantro for garnish
- Lime juice for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix well all the meatball ingredients. You can use your clean hands to do the mixing.
- Take a few tablespoons of the mixture and shape it into a ball, then place it on a large baking sheet. Do it again with the remaining meat.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the meatballs are browned and cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- In the bowl of the slow cooker, mix the brown sugar, chili sauce, vinegar, and soy sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk the water and the cornstarch together. Then put the cornstarch slurry into the slow cooker and whisk.
- Add the cooked meatballs, cover the slow cooker, and cook over high heat for about an hour or until the sauce is bubbly and thick.
- Once the sauce is bubbly and thick, reduce the heat to warm until ready to serve. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, coriander leaves, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice before serving.
Tips for Making Saucy Thai Meatballs
- You can make the meatballs first and then refrigerate or freeze them until you are ready to enjoy these meatballs. These meatballs are freezer-friendly foods. Freeze raw on a tray then to save space, transfer to a bag/container. Thaw and bake according to the recipe. The meatballs also reheat well in the microwave.
- This recipe can be made gluten-free with gluten-free ingredients.
- For the meatballs, you can measure and drop all of the mixture using a cake spoon (1 tablespoon) onto the work surface. Then roll them up instead of doing it one by one. It makes the work faster.
- You can serve them with Thai fried rice, Asian noodle salad, or Thai beef salad.
Ingredients and Equipment for Making Thai Meatballs
1. Panko Breadcrumbs
This is a vegetarian product that offers six packs of panko breadcrumbs in a box. It is a Japanese version of bread crumbs with larger, flakier crumbs for a crunchy, light coating. The product is made with wheat flour bleached, lemon peel modified corn starch, salt, canola oil, black pepper, yeast, sugar, citric acid, spice, garlic, natural flavor, and extractives of turmeric. With its lemony pepper taste, this ingredient is a great alternative for baking or frying. You can also use it on your fish, meat, or vegetables, or as a crispy topping on baked dishes.
2. Red Curry Paste
With 35 ounces of red curry paste, you can do many things with your favorite recipes. This product offers a gluten-free curry paste that is made with red chili pepper, lemongrass, garlic soybean oil, galangal (Thai ginger), shallot, salt, kaffir lime, and spices. It is specialized to deliver a bold, authentic taste of Thailand in every bite. The product contains no artificial colors or flavors, which makes it great to add to various soup bases, curries, stir-fries, and marinades.
3. Rice Vinegar
This is Kikkoman’s rice vinegar, with 10 fluid ounces in a bottle jar. It is made to the highest standard of quality and is perfect for your kitchen. The product has a milder taste than other vinegars, with a slight sweetness from the rice. The balanced acidity makes a great addition to all kinds of dishes. It is also kosher certified.
4. Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
With a weight of 2.57 pounds in a bottle, this product is an original Thai sauce that brings an authentic taste and freshness to many recipes. It can create a sweet and savory sauce with a hint of chili heat for a complex flavor. Each bottle of this product features premium ingredients like whole chilies and garlic, which are harvested at the peak of freshness to provide a consistently pure taste. With this ingredient, you can create authentic dishes or create unique and flavorful menu items like dips and sauces for vegetables or pizza.
5. Soy Sauce
Made with 100% soybeans without wheat, this soy sauce provides a richer, smoother, and more complex taste. It is a gluten-free, vegan product that contains no GMOs. Its ability to enhance the flavors of food naturally is what makes this product stand out from others. The soy sauce is suitable for various recipes, including soups, gravies, casseroles, and sauces.
This 18-ounce bag of cornstarch comes from Bob’s Red Mill, which offers vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free cornstarch. The product is packaged in a stand-up resealable bag and is ideal as a thickener for sauces or pies, as well as an ingredient in gluten-free baking. It contains soy, tree nuts, sesame seeds, no wheat, no milk, no crustaceans, and no fish.
There are many things that this oven can do, whether it’s toasting, broiling, baking, roasting, warming, dehydrating, or fermenting. This equipment comes with a capacity of 25 liters, which can fit a 12-inch pizza and six slices of bread. Its features include a crisp LED display, control knobs, and a non-stick interior that makes cleaning easier. The included items are a wire rack, a crumb tray, a food tray, rotisserie forks, a rotisserie handle, and a cooking book.
8. Slow Cooker
A slow cooker is an essential piece of equipment for making these Thai meatballs. This product is made with ceramic, glass, and stainless steel. The spacious space allows you to serve nine or more people, and it can fit a seven-pound roast. With this slow cooker, you can set the cooking time to high heat and get a hot meal in no time. The material is easy to clean, and the lid and the removable stoneware are dishwasher safe.