- Brenda Gantt Orange Slice Cake
- How to Store
- Ingredients and Equipment on Amazon
- Brenda Gantt Coconut Cake
Brenda Gantt cake recipes always easy and yummy, like the recipe for orange slice cake that we share below. This orange slice cake recipe is recooked by the Southern grandmother star on her Youtube channel, from her cookbook. The idea of filming herself, demonstrating the instructions, and sharing stories or giving tips to her audience makes cooking a breeze.
Now let’s follow the steps to make Brenda Gantt orange slice cake recipe, which has crusts on top but delightfully does not dry out instead.
Brenda Gantt Orange Slice Cake
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter (buy here)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of buttermilk (buy here)
- 1 pound of sugared dates, chopped (buy here)
- 1 pound of orange candy, thinly sliced (buy here)
- 2 cups of ruff chopped nuts or pecans (buy here)
- 2 cups of shredded coconut (buy here)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda (buy here)
- 3½ cups of all-purpose flour (buy here)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3¼ cup of orange juice (buy here)
- Stand mixer (buy here)
- Large mixing bowl (buy here)
- Large spoon (optional) (buy here)
- Large tube pan (buy here)
- Parchment paper (optional) (buy here)
- Oven (buy here)
- Wooden toothpick or skewer (buy here)
- Brush (buy here)
Brenda Gantt, a cherished Southern grandmother and popular figure on Facebook, recognizes the power of gathering around the dinner table to foster a sense of togetherness. She shares and serves her family recipes with sincere warmth and authenticity.
Delightful collection featuring 100 new recipes. Filled with stories from her small-town life in Andalusia, Alabama, Brenda shares wisdom on embracing simple pleasures. The book invites readers to gather with loved ones and savor dishes such as Chicken Pot Pie and Southern-Fried Quail.
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter and gradually add the sugar until fluffy
- Beat the eggs one at a time until all four eggs are done and well incorporated in the mixer. Give your batter a little stir in between, if necessary
- The next step is to add baking soda to your buttermilk and stir until it is dissolved. Add the mixture to the batter in the mixer and blend
- In the mixing bowl, add flour, candy slices, shredded coconut, sugared dates, and nuts or pecans. Use your hands to mix them so you can break up any clumpy pieces
- Transfer the batter from the mixer to the bowl and stir until well combined. You will see that the texture gets thick and quite stiff
- Grease your tube pan and flour it
- In this recipe for orange slice cake, the parchment paper is cut to place in the tube pan, but you can solely skip this step
- Scoop the dough into the tube pan and tap down gently to fill the pan
- Bake at 250°F for 2½ to 3 hours (the time will vary depending on the oven). Use a wooden toothpick or skewer to check for doneness. Once you insert it and it comes out clean, then the baking process is done
- Take the pan out of the oven. Keep the cake in the pan and use with the toothpick or skewer again to poke holes in it
- Make the glaze immediately because you will need to brush it while it is warm. Cook the sugar and the orange juice, keep stirring, and wait until the syrup is boiled and gets thick.
- Brush the Brenda Gantt orange slice cake with the glaze so the glaze goes down in the holes
- Cool it down for one night. In the morning, take it out of the pan and brush the sides with the remaining glaze. You will have a hard and heavy texture of cake on the outside but the glaze will keep the cake from drying out
The following lists give you some brief information if you consider buying either ingredients or equipment for Brenda Gantt recipe. It may be more time-consuming to make the recipe than the average baked good. But once you make it, it’s gonna be good, y’all!
How to Store
To store Brenda Gantt’s Orange Slice Cake properly, follow these steps:
- Allow Cake to Cool: Allow the cake to cool completely to room temperature before storing it. This helps prevent condensation from forming inside the storage container, which can make the cake soggy.
- Wrap Well: Once cooled, wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Ensure that the entire cake is covered to prevent it from drying out or absorbing odors from the refrigerator.
- Refrigerate: Place the wrapped cake in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator. This will help extend the shelf life of the cake and keep it fresh for several days.
- Avoid Moisture: Make sure there is no excess moisture inside the storage container. If you notice any condensation forming, gently blot it with a paper towel before resealing the container.
- Reheat Properly: When you’re ready to enjoy the cake, you can reheat individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds or in a preheated oven at a low temperature until warmed through.
- Freezing: If you want to store the cake for a longer period, you can freeze it. Wrap the cooled cake tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, then place it in an airtight freezer bag or container. Frozen Orange Slice Cake can be stored for up to 2-3 months.
By following these steps, you can store Brenda Gantt’s Orange Slice Cake properly and enjoy it over several days or even weeks. Just remember to keep it refrigerated or frozen to maintain its freshness and quality.
Ingredients and Equipment on Amazon
1. Orange candy sunrise Candy Retailer Orange Slices
Taste the gummy and chewy candies in a resealable stand-up pouch. The one and a half-pound package contains 48 pieces. They are made of sugar, corn syrup, modified food starch, and orange oil. The label also gives you information on nutrition and the expiration date.
2. Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Deglet Dates
It is chemical-free and comes at a low price, with fresh pitted dates in a two-pound package. The dates come from deglet noot dates, which contain minerals, vitamins, and phytonutrients and are good for your digestive system. They have natural sweeteners and are perfect for sweet treats, smoothies, energy bars, or even nut milk.
3. Tropicana Orange Juice
In a 10 oz bottle, you’ll get 100% orange juice from concentrate and natural flavors. It contains juices from the US and Brazil, which will be a great source of your daily vitamin C. This citrus drink does not contain added sugar and has a bright color, which will appeal to you with its tartness and refreshing taste.
4. KitchenAid Empire Red Stand Mixer
It comes in a 5-quart bowl to powerfully mix dough for 4 loaves of bread, 9 dozens of cookies, and 7 pounds of mashed potatoes. With 10 speed settings and 12 attachments, it will give high performance for stirring your ingredients, kneading, making fusilli pasta from scratch, and shredding. This stand mixer also features a 6-wire whip, nylon dough hook, nylon flat beater, and 1-piece pouring shield for finishing your multiple tasks in the kitchen.
5. Nordic Ware Graphite
The Brenda Gantt orange slice cake will fit this pan perfectly because it has a large capacity. With 11x10x5 inches, it is also best for sponge cake or angel food cake. With its durable cast aluminum, your cake will be baked evenly in the oven. Its non-stick surface will release any stuck food easily and quickly, helping with cleanup.
Brenda Gantt Orange Slice Cake Recipe Video
You may also watch the video below by Brenda Gantt about how to make orange slice cake using her original recipe:
Apart from the orange slice cake, Brenda Gantt’s coconut cake recipe is also worth trying. The sweet taste of icing and the savory coconut, combined with the soft texture of the cake makes this classic cake recipe so delicious!
Brenda Gantt Coconut Cake
- 1/2 cup of vegetable shortening
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of White Lily self-rising flour
- ½ cup of whole buttermilk
- ½ cup of sweet milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 bags sweetened shredded coconut
- 12-14 ounces whipped cream
For icing cream
- a whole pint of sour cream
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of coconut (Brenda Gantt used the frozen one)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour four 9-inch round cake pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable shortening, butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat them using a stand mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time, while the mixer keeps beating. Allow up to 5 minutes, until the dough is soft.
- After 5 minutes and the mixer keep beating, gradually add the White Lily self-rising flour, buttermilk and vanilla, until well mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans and smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 5 minutes before removing them from the pans and placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, add a whole pint of sour cream, sugar, and coconut, mix them using a mixer until well blended.
- Take one half of the icing, mix it with whipped cream for the outer layer of the cake.
- Place one cake layer on a large serving plate, spread the cream over it.
- Then place the other cake layer on top. Spread more cream on top of the second cake layer. Do this step until the third layer.
- On the fourth layer, spread the whipped cream and icing mixture. Continue by coating all around the sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle and coat all sides with sweetened shredded coconut.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious Brenda Gantt coconut cake!