You want to cook salmon that is sure to be delicious? Then you have to try the Gordon Ramsay salmon recipe. The following recipe is a salmon recipe originally shared by Gordon Ramsay on The F Word channel. How does Gordon Ramsay cook salmon? Here, there are a number of tips from this great chef that will make cooking your salmon more successful.
Gordon Ramsay Crispy Salmon Tips
In Gordon Ramsay pan seared salmon process, make sure you cook it skin-side down. This method will prevent the salmon from overcooking and will produce crispy skin salmon.
To prevent the salmon from buckling while cooking, bend the salmon skin-side up, then score the skin lengthwise. Also, press down on the salmon with a spatula while cooking it.
Scoring salmon skin will also make the salmon cook quicker, and the skin will be crispy. But don’t slice too deep, as this can overcook the salmon.
Do not cook salmon while it is still frozen or too cold. Leave it at room temperature so the outside doesn’t dry out while cooking.
Ingredient (for 1 portion)
- 4 oz. fresh boneless salmon filet with skin (buy here)
- About 1/3 teaspoon salt
- A pinch of fresh ground pepper
- About 1/3 teaspoon Cajun Spice (buy here)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (buy here)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced or crushed (buy here)
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme (buy here)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (buy here)
- 1 tablespoon of Lemon Aioli Mayonnaise
How to Cook Salmon a la Gordon Ramsay
- With the skin on the outside, bend the salmon. Using a sharp knife, score the salmon skin horizontally.
- Marinate with salt, pepper and Cajun spice, rub the seasoning all over the surface of the salmon and into the slices on the skin.
- Preheat the pan first using medium-high heat, then add a tablespoon of oil. Put the salmon on it with skin-side down.
- Gently press the salmon with a spatula, to keep the salmon skin flat.
- Once the bottom side of the salmon begins to cook and turns golden in color, turn the salmon over.
- Add garlic and thyme for more flavor.
- Once golden, turn the salmon back, skin side down. Add 2 tablespoons of butter which will keep the salmon moist.
- Leave the salmon for 6-7 minutes over low heat.
- Transfer the salmon to a plate, then squeeze the lemon juice over the salmon to taste. Serve with lemon Aioli mayonnaise for extra taste. Now it’s time to enjoy the Gordon Ramsay salmon!
You can eat this Gordon Ramsay salmon with smashed potatoes and succotash like Gordon Ramsay did in his cooking video. Here is Gordon Ramsay succotash and smashed potatoes recipe :
Gordon Ramsay Succotash
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Cajun, salt, and pepper
- 1 cup of corn
- 1/2 cup of red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup of green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup of yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup of jalapeno, chopped
- 1 cup of zucchini
- 1 cup of yellow squash
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon
- Place the pan over medium heat, add olive oil to it.
- Add chopped red onion, a little cajun seasoning, pepper and salt.
- Once the red onion wilts, add the corn, stir briefly.
- Add the red peppers, green peppers, yellow peppers, jalapenos, zucchini and yellow squash. Sauté for about one minute.
- Then, add the chopped cilantro, and cook another minute.
- Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Gordon Ramsay Smashed Potatoes
- 4 baby potatoes
- Olive oil
- 1 cup of mustard greens, blanched about 30 seconds, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup of shallots, chopped
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Drizzle some olive oil over the potatoes.
- Smash the potatoes with hands or mash with a knife until slightly crushed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the potatoes in a pan over medium heat. Press down with a spatula and flip them over.
- When it is slightly browned, add butter, stir until the butter is quite absorbed.
- Add blanched chopped mustard greens, chopped shallots, and chopped garlic to the pan.
- Grate a lemon over the potato and then finish with the lemon juice on top.
If you want to cook more recipes using Gordon Ramsay style, you can learn it from Gordon Ramsay’s best cookbooks. We highly recommend you read “12 Best Gordon Ramsay Cookbooks”.
What does Gordon Ramsay Serve with Salmon?
Gordon Ramsay is known for his creativity in the kitchen and has many recipes for serving salmon. Some popular options that he has served with salmon include:
- Sautéed spinach and baby potatoes
- Roasted vegetables, such as asparagus, bell peppers, and zucchini
- Creamy mashed potatoes with garlic and herbs
- Rice pilaf with peas and lemon zest
- Grilled corn on the cob with herb butter
Ultimately, the choice of what to serve with salmon will depend on personal taste and the occasion. Gordon Ramsay often recommends keeping it simple and focusing on the quality of the salmon itself, but adding complementary flavors and textures to create a delicious and balanced meal.
How to Score Salmon Skin
Scoring the skin of salmon helps it to cook evenly and prevents it from curling up during cooking. Here’s how to score salmon skin especially if the size is quite large :
- Use a sharp knife to make shallow diagonal cuts across the skin of the salmon, about 1/2 inch apart.
- Be sure to make the cuts only in the skin and not all the way through to the flesh of the fish.
- Make the cuts in one direction first, then turn the salmon 90 degrees and make diagonal cuts in the opposite direction to create a diamond pattern.
- Make the cuts as evenly as possible, to ensure the salmon cooks evenly.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper and cook as desired, with the skin side down first.
That’s how to score salmon skin!
Gordon Ramsay Knife Recommendation
One of the kitchen tools that is very important in processing salmon is a knife. Gordon Ramsay has recommended several knife brands over the years, including:
- Wüsthof: This is one of Gordon Ramsay’s favorite knife brands, and he often uses Wüsthof knives in his kitchens. Wüsthof knives are known for their high-quality materials and durability.
- Global: Gordon Ramsay has also recommended Global knives, which are known for their sharpness and lightweight design.
- Victorinox: This is a budget-friendly knife brand that Gordon Ramsay has recommended in the past. Victorinox knives are known for their quality materials and ease of use.
- Henckels: Gordon Ramsay has used Henckels knives in his kitchens and has recommended them as a high-quality option for home cooks.
- Shun: Another knife brand that Gordon Ramsay has recommended is Shun. Shun knives are made in Japan and are known for their precision and sharpness.
Gordon Ramsay has recommended a variety of knife brands over the years, and the best knife brand for you will depend on your personal preferences and needs. It’s important to choose a knife that feels comfortable in your hand and is appropriate for the tasks you’ll be using it for.
What Gordon Ramsay Put on Salmon?
Gordon Ramsay’s recipe for salmon usually involves a combination of flavors and ingredients, depending on the specific dish. However, here is a general overview of some common ingredients that he might use to prepare salmon:
- Olive oil or butter: Ramsay often uses these as a cooking fat to sear the salmon and give it a crispy exterior.
- Lemon juice: This acidic ingredient adds a bright, tangy flavor to the salmon.
- Salt and pepper: These basic seasonings enhance the natural flavors of the fish.
- Herbs: Ramsay may use a variety of herbs, such as dill, parsley, or thyme, to add a fresh, aromatic note to the dish.
- Mustard: Some of Ramsay’s salmon recipes include a mustard-based sauce or glaze that adds a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to the fish.
- Soy sauce or teriyaki sauce: These ingredients can be used to create an Asian-inspired glaze that adds savory and sweet flavors to the salmon.
- Honey: Ramsay may use honey to balance out the acidity and saltiness of the dish and add a touch of sweetness to the salmon.
Gordon Ramsay’s approach to cooking salmon often involves a balance of bold and subtle flavors that highlight the natural richness and texture of the fish.